Named for early American Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury, this award honors his call to establish a school in the vicinity of every church. “We must,” he said, “ … give the key of knowledge to your children, and those of the poor in the vicinity of your small towns and villages.”
Today, the award recognizes individuals who have made a significant contribution to fostering United Methodist ministries in higher education at the local, district or annual conference level. It is awarded annually to one honoree per annual conference.
Francis Asbury Award Frequently Asked Questions:
Who is eligible to receive the award?
- Clergy or lay people, employed or volunteer, who support and encourage United Methodist collegiate ministries.
- The honoree must:
- Actively support, strengthen and promote the church’s work in higher education ministries (schools, colleges, campus ministries, scholarships, Black College Fund, Africa University) at the annual conference, district or local church level.
- Offer outstanding leadership, above and beyond basic responsibilities, to help bring heightened awareness to the significance of the church’s higher education ministries.
- Participate in efforts to expand and advocate for collegiate ministry in the annual conference.
How can I nominate an honoree?
- DOWLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE. Applications must be returned to the Office of Collegiate Ministry at email@example.com no later than August 1, 2021.
Can an annual conference present more than one award per year?
- No. The annual conference may honor only one person per year.
How are honorees selected?
- Honorees are chosen by the conference Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry and reported to GBHEM.
When is it awarded?
- The deadline for nominating honorees from each annual conference has been April 1 of each year, but given that most annual conferences have been postponed due to the coronavirus we are extending the deadline to August 1, 2021. Award honorees and Annual Conferences will be notified by email no later than September 1, 2021.