Recommended Resources for Clergy Lifelong Learning
The Landscape of Continuing Education in The United Methodist Church
The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry express our gratitude for your participation in the January 2007 survey, The Landscape of the United Methodist Continuing Education. The research was conducted by Jennifer Phillips, Coordinator for Continuing Education and Academic Outreach at Drew University Theological School with collaboration of steering committee members. Please take a few minutes to review the results of the survey. Please use this PowerPoint presentation (230KB) for your annual conferences and constituencies as a discussion tool.
Recommended Readings for Clergy Lifelong Learning
- Dykstra, Craig. Growing in the Life of Faith: Education and Christian Practices. Louisville, Kentucky: Geneva Press, 1999.
- Fowler, Mark W. Mentoring Into Vocation: Touchstones for the Journey. Nashville: Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church, 2006.
- Hough, Joseph C. & John B. Cobb, Jr. Christian Identity and Theological Education. Atlanta: Scholar’s Press, 1985.
- McSpadden, Lucia Ann. Meeting God at the Boundaries: A Manual for Church Leaders. Nashville: Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church, 2005.
- Purushotham, Gwen. A Wesleyan Model for Ministry Assessment. Nashville: Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church, 2007.
- Robert E. & D. Bruce Roberts. A Lifelong Call to Learn: Approaches to Continuing Education for Church Leaders. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2000.
- Robert F. Kohler and Sharon Rubey. The Christian as Minister: An Exploration Into the Meaning of God’s Call. Nashville: Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church, 2006.
- Stone, Howard W. and James O. Duke. How to Think Theologically. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1996.
- The Challenges of Globalization and the Role of The United Methodist Church
- A Wesleyan Vision for Theological Education and Leadership Formation for The 21st Century
- Putting Legs on Your Longings: John Wesley's Vision of Spirituality by Dr. Gregory S. Clapper
- The Wesleyan Means of Grace by W. Paul Jones
The Division of Ordained Ministry provides financial support for continuing education programs for clergy and laity. The 2009 Pastoral Convocation of the Rio Grande Conference is one of the programs that GBHEM supported in 2009 - you can read a summary of the event here (PDF). If you are interested in applying for the financial support for your continuing education program, please contact Rev. Dr. HiRho Park.