Allan Jerome Burry Scholarship
The Allan Jerome Burry Scholarship is designed to recognize a United Methodist undergraduate student’s outstanding academic performance, leadership skills, and participation in the activities of a United Methodist-related campus ministry or chaplaincy program at his/her college or university. Preference will be given to students engaged in Student Forum, Exploration, National Student Conference CELEBRATE or other UM sponsored campus ministry events on a national or jurisdictional level. The scholarship is named for the former assistant general secretary of the Campus Ministry Section, Division of Higher Education, United Methodist General Board of Higher Education and Ministry. Reverend Burry died August, 1990.
- The applicant must have been a full, active member of The United Methodist Church for at least three (3) years and be nominated by their campus ministry unit or college chaplain.
- The applicant may be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States of America, or a member of a Central Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a full-time degree program.
- The applicant must have a B+ academic average, provide the Scholarship Office with their most recent academic transcript, and document financial need.
- Awards are granted for one academic year only. Applicants may be nominated more than one time.
- The scholarship committee will select the recipient(s) based upon their review of all required documents and funds available. If awarded, the recipient will not have these funds in hand at time of registration. Funds will be sent after receipt of verification of enrollment from the registrar of the school.
- The award may not be given in conjunction with another scholarship award from GBHEM’s Office of Loans and Scholarships.
Request application from the Office of Loans and Scholarships, or download application from this site. Campus minister/chaplain should return completed application form, student’s statement, and completed nomination form to the Office of Loans and Scholarships by February 1. Awards will be announced in March by the Burry Awards Committee.